Applies to: Reolink battery-powered cameras.
Battery life may vary based on the settings, environmental conditions, and other factors.
Here are some helpful tips that can help you maximize, extend or increase Reolink Argus & Keen battery-powered security camera battery life.
- Reolink Battery-Powered Security Camera Battery Warnings and Safety
- Useful Tips to Extend Reolink Battery Operated Security Camera Battery Life
Important Battery-Powered Camera's Battery Warnings and Safety
Mishandled batteries can damage your battery powered IP cameras, cause a fire or result in personal injury.
In order to avoid damaging your Reolink battery powered security cameras, we strongly recommend that you read this Battery Warnings and Safety prior to using your Reolink Argus and Keen wire-free battery powered/operated security cameras.
Please follow the battery warnings and safety below to use your Reolink Argus and Keen wire-free security camera batteries safely:
- Please use high-quality batteries from reputable brands. Poor quality or inferior batteries can damage your Reolink Argus and Keen.
- Please store the batteries in a cool and dry environment.
- Please make sure that each battery’s polarity matches the polarity of the battery slot.
- Please use the same battery brands when your Reolink battery operated IP cameras need the battery replacement.
- It’s NOT advised to use new and old batteries together.
- If you don’t use Reolink battery powered security cameras for a long period, please remove the batteries to avoid possible battery leakage.
Please note that Reolink is NOT responsible for any failure to follow the battery warnings and safety document.
Helpful Tips to Extend Your Reolink Argus & Keen Wire-Free Security Camera Battery Life
Below are some useful tips that can help maximize/extend your Reolink Argus and Keen battery operated security camera battery life.
1. Proper Installation of Battery Powered Security Cameras
2. Adjust the PIR Sensor Sensitivity
3. Set up Motion Detection Schedule
4. Keep the Cameras out of Cold/Hot Environments
5. Stick Your Cameras to Well-Lit Areas
6. Avoid Weak WiFi Connections
1. Install Your Reolink Argus and Keen Battery Powered Security Cameras Properly
Improper installation of your Reolink battery powered security cameras and PIR sensors can cause false alarms, which can reduce the battery life. In order to maximize your Reolink Argus and Keen battery life, please bear the important installation notes in mind.
Important installation notes for your Reolink Argus and Keen battery powered security cameras:
- It’s not suggested to install Reolink battery powered security cameras facing bright objects, since bright objects may lead to false alarms.
- Please avoid installing your Reolink Argus and Keen (and its external PIR sensor) in places where there are frequently moving vehicles.
- Always keep your Reolink Argus and Keen (and its external PIR sensor) away from the outlets, such as air conditioner vents, humidifier outlets, the heat transfer vents of projectors, etc.
2. Adjust the PIR Sensor Sensitivity of Your Reolink Argus and Keen Battery Operated Security Cameras
Choosing a suitable PIR sensor sensitivity of your Reolink Argus/Keen cameras can help you reduce false alarms effectively. Thus you can extend the battery life of your Reolink battery powered IP surveillance cameras.
Bump: The default sensitivity of your Reolink Argus and Keen is “Mid”.
The sensitivity setup steps of Reolink Argus and Keen are different. You can follow the steps below to adjust the PIR sensitivity of your Reolink Argus and Keen wire-free security cameras.
- How to Set up Reolink Argus PIR Sensor Detecting Sensitivity
- How to Set up Reolink Keen PIR Sensor Detecting Sensitivity
How to Configure Reolink Argus PIR Sensor Detecting Sensitivity
Please follow the steps below to set up your Reolink Argus PIR sensor detecting sensitivity level on Reolink App.
(1) Please launch Reolink App. Click “Device Settings”, and then click “PIR Settings” under “Alarm”.
(2) Choose a suitable sensitivity level from 3 options: Low, Mid and High.
Note: Higher sensitivity offers longer detecting distance, but it would lead to more false alarms. It’s advised to set up the sensitivity level to “Low” or “Mid” when you install Reolink Argus wire-free battery powered security camera outdoors.
How to Configure Reolink Keen PIR Sensor Detecting Sensitivity
You can set up the Reolink Keen PIR sensor detecting sensitivity by adjusting the sensitivity level in the PIR sensor.
3. Use Motion Detection Schedule to Extend Your Reolink Argus & Keen Battery Life
Motion detection schedule is helpful to increase the battery life of your Reolink wire-free security cameras.
You can activate motion detection function to specific time periods and disable the PIR motion sensor when you don’t want it.
For example, you can activate your PIR motion sensor when you are out for work or shopping, and you can disable the PIR motion sensor when you are at home.
You can check the detailed steps below to set up motion detection schedule for your Reolink Argus and Keen wire-free battery powered security cameras.
(1) Please launch your Reolink App. Tap “Device Settings”, and then select “PIR Settings” under “Alarm”.
(2) Please click “Schedule”, and then change the schedule type of the time period into “None” (in grey color). Please tap on the grid box to change it, and then click the left arrow on the top to go back to “Alarm”. Remember to click the “save” button on the top right to save the settings.
Bump: You can manually enable/disable the PIR motion sensor simply by clicking the PIR icon on the “Device” page. Please note that the icon means that the PIR sensor is enabled, while means the PIR sensor is disabled.
4. Keep Your Reolink Argus & Keen Battery Powered Security Cameras out of Cold/Hot Environments
If you install your Reolink Argus and Keen wire-free security cameras in the environments of -10°C (14°F), it can negatively affect the battery life of Reolink Argus and Keen cameras.
If you install your Reolink Argus outside in the winter months, you might experience decreased battery life.
However, heat can also negatively affect the battery life of Reolink battery powered security cameras. Please keep in mind that Reolink Argus and Keen battery powered security camera operation temperature is -10°C – +55°C (14°F – 131°F).
5. Place Your Reolink Battery Powered Security Cameras in Well-Lit Areas
Placing your Reolink Argus and Keen 100% wire-free security cameras in low-light environments requires infrared sensors to work harder, which will use extra battery life.
If you install your Reolink battery powered wireless security cameras in completely dark areas most of the time, it would result in battery drain in just a couple of weeks.
In order to maximize your Reolink Argus and Keen security camera battery life, try to mount your cameras in areas that are well-lit.
6. Avoid Weak WiFi Connection of Your Reolink Argus and Keen Battery Operated Security Cameras
When you install your Reolink Argus and Keen battery powered WiFi security cameras, it’s advised to place them near the router. Make sure that there is stable WiFi connection between your router and Reolink Argus/Keen battery powered security cameras.
If the WiFi connection is bad, the cameras will need more power to transmit the data. As a result, the battery power would run out more quickly.